Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Giver

This morning while on my way to church I saw a man at the end of the expressway with a cardboard sign.  His sign said that he was homeless and he was asking for help, I can't even tell you the exact words because already my mind was whirling with thoughts.. For those of you that know me, its normal that my mind takes off processing before I finish reading or hearing something.

Until recently I would have had doubts and questioned that man's motives.  I would have questioned whether he needed my money more than I did.  I would have questioned if he was really homeless. I would have wondered if he was going to use my money for alcohol or drugs.  I am going to be brutally honest, I would more often not give or offer help.

Sometimes even just for crappy reasons, like the light turned green during those long moments that I took judging the people asking for help.  Traffic had started moving, people behind me were beeping and I would avoid looking at the person with the sign.  I would pull away from the intersection feeling guilt and thoughts would go swirl around in my head.  I would then begin to wonder, maybe I should have given a few dollars for a cup of coffee or a burger.  What if that is all they had all day long when I was going home to a warm house, food and a family?  What if they were honest and sincere and didn't really have anything?

God teaches us "Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to".  (Deuteronomy 15:10).

Nowhere does it say that I should judge my fellow man and try to find out if he has more or less than me.  It does not allow me to judge what he uses my gift for.  It just says give generously to him and you will be blessed.  There are no ultimatums, no compromises, no interpretations, just give.  While I am not saying grab your wallet and hand over everything you own, I am saying that you should give comfortably.  I don't know your situation and you don't know mine.  We are different and comfortably for each of us is different.   It is not up to you to determine if your money will buy alcohol or hamburgers.  Giving is up to you, what the person does with the money is up to them. 

I can tell you that this morning was enlightening and embarrassing at the same time.  The reason I say this is because I didn't judge, I grabbed my walled and was proud to give him all of my... change.   I had no cash, (I had even forgotten to get money for the offering plate!) just loose change and it came to a dollar.  I profusely apologized for not having more and he looked at me with a warm smile and said every little bit  helps, God bless you.  It was at that moment that I knew God was going to bless me.  God loves me and God blesses me and God takes care of me.

The lesson today, do not judge, do not question, give comfortably and you will be blessed. 


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree Patti! :) I've also changed my stance on this in the past few years. You are a wise woman.

    ReplyDelete