Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Beginning of the End (Part 2)

We are at the part of the story that I had begun reading "A Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren and the date was September 19th 2015.  A big decision was upon me, they had invited me to the movie, I had met the people but was I really prepared to go to an ice arena and worship with strangers.  I think God has a great sense of humor sometimes and led me there because of my love of hockey. I figured it couldn't be all bad if I was going to a hockey stadium.  Of course, I asked my husband to go with me and he did (by the way, he is amazing!). 

We got up early the morning of September 20th and drove to Wings Stadium and thoughts were just flying around my head.  Would they like me?  Would I like them?  Would they have the same beliefs?  Would we sacrifice a goat?  I know, I know.. but strange thoughts go through your head when you go outside your comfort zone especially when dealing with something as intimate as church.

We walked in and were greeted as friends and neighbors.  No one was overly pushy but they were also not snobby either.  We went downstairs and my first thought was where are they taking us.. ?  We got to an area and that's going to be what I call it because I really can't define it.  There were chairs, backdrops, lights (I remember the pretty blues!) and banners.  As my husband Steve called it, it was like a "Christian Rave".  There was a drum set, electric guitar, mics and amps.. it was amazing.  If you ask me what we learned that day during service I will give you a deer in the head light look.  I cannot tell you one word of the gospel from that day but what I can tell you is still overwhelming me.

I was overcome by such emotion and I felt like I was wrapped in God's embrace.  I felt the warmth of a comfortable blanket and I felt like I was at home.  I can tell you that the tears flowed from almost the moment we sat down until the very last note of the final song.  Through my eyes, I saw and felt the love in that "area".  I saw people of various ages, backgrounds and "stereotypes" worshiping together as Jesus himself would have wanted. It is so hard to explain, as I sit here trying to find the words I just cannot express to you how loved, protected and at peace I felt. 

After service, we formed small groups.  This has got to be one of my most favorite parts of worship.  I love meeting people and finding the connections that we all have to each other and to the Lord.  In our small group, we spoke about faith.  In my new church we are allowed to have different opinions and no one judges or tells anyone that they are wrong.  No one tells people to go home and pray to find the "right" answer.  Everyone is allowed to be at their own place in their faith journey and I LOVE IT!!  I want to scream to the heavens ALLELUIA!

I went home that day with an inner peace and that feeling of comfort and love and I knew that I needed to continue the journey to see where this new mystical church would take me. 

Come back and visit to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment